Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Berry Salad with Balsamic Sugar Sauce


We've had a few hot (and thunderstormy) days around here lately and I felt like I needed a little pick-me-up. There's nothing quite like being oh so ready for sunshine and the weather having different plans. I craved something that felt like summer and that provided refreshment from the hot and muggy outside. Fresh, chilled berries seemed like just the cure!  

I did a little internet search and came up with this recipe, courtesy of Ina Garten (aka The Barefoot Contessa) and foodnetwork.com. I substituted blackberries for the raspberries because I couldn't find them and used a touch less sugar than the recipe calls for. It was just what the doctor ordered and a huge hit with my friends, too. I've made this twice now and it is just as good alone or as a topping for tangy Greek yogurt. I bet it would be delicious with ice cream, too.
Berry Salad

1 pint strawberries, hulled and cut in half
1 pint blueberries
1 pint raspberries
1 TBS good balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
fresh mint for garnish

Place 6 glasses in the refrigerator.

In a large bowl, combine the berries, vinegar and sugar. Stir gently. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Spoon the berries into chilled glasses and garnish with mint.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin