Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tzatziki

I am thrilled that my Aerogarden has been so productive (and prolific!). It seems that I'm continually working toward finding out how many ways you can use one lone ingredient - like basil or thyme. This time I looked to the Greeks to find a use for the stems and stems of dill that I have on hand. Tzatziki dip. 

I read through several recipes before throwing this one together myself. Many called for hours and hours of draining the yogurt and cucumber, using cheesecloth etc., but I just didn't have the time, or patience, for that. I bought Greek yogurt, which is already thickened and did a few quick presses of the grated cucumber between sheets of paper towels and I think it turned out just fine.
Tzatziki

8 oz. Greek yogurt
1/4 cup grated cucumber
garlic and dill in quantities to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix together with a spoon. Refrigerating before serving helps bring out the flavors.
Tzatziki is a cool and refreshing accompaniment to pita, or spread over spiced or marinated grilled chicken or fish.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin